Should I Ever Speak To Police Without An Attorney?

When contacted by police, you should be careful about what you say. Chances are, they are investigating a crime. Even if you are not necessarily a target, it is always a good idea to contact a lawyer first, so he can find out what needs to be said and prepare you for any kind of meeting with law enforcement. It is extremely unwise to meet with police on your own, as you may find yourself becoming involved in a very serious matter.

Why Should I Hire A Private Attorney Instead Of Using A Public Defender?

A public defender is set up for people who really cannot afford an attorney. A lot of times, the public defender’s office is overwhelmed with cases. They sometimes can’t give a case the attention that it deserves and that is why you need to hire a private attorney instead. Often things need to get done before you actually go to court. The public defender’s office doesn’t always have the manpower to handle those things. When it comes to talking and negotiating with the state attorney, finding witnesses and proving up your case, most of the time you are better off with a private lawyer. Additionally, it is better to go with a private attorney versus a public defender because after all, you get what you pay for. Often, following an arrest, you will get brochures sent in the mail, where an attorney is offering to represent you for an extremely low rate. You have to stop and think to yourself, “How is this attorney going to be able to drive to the courthouse, spend time with me, go to the hearing, prepare the case and do everything else for that price?”

When it comes to handling a criminal matter, your life and your career are on the line. You need to make the right choice.

How Can An Arrest Affect Me?

An arrest can affect a person in many different ways. In this day and age when there is social media, if your name is out there online associated with a criminal charge, it can affect your career. It can also affect your family relationships.

Additionally, an arrest and charge for a crime can have an impact on your immigration status. A good number of people think that if they have a green card that is enough to keep you safe. However, that is not true. A green card allows you to work and stay in this country. If you are charged and convicted of a crime or even are given a withhold of adjudication for that crime, you are in danger of being deported. There really is no basis to fight it on the pretext of having a green card.

What Does Withhold Of Adjudication Actually Mean?

Withholding adjudication means the person is not actually convicted of the charges that were filed against him or her. It gives a little bit of leeway where in certain circumstances, such as applying for a job, if you are asked if you have ever been convicted of a crime, the answer would be no because there was technically no conviction. It was a withhold that cannot be used against you.

With that said, in Florida if you commit another crime, even though you withheld adjudication, that crime can be considered against you in the sentencing process. Additionally, immigration may consider that crime as well. Some charges are considered more significant when it comes to immigration, such as crimes of moral turpitude, versus something like driving without a license would not be considered as severe.

Can Traffic Offenses Ever Be Criminal In Nature?

Traffic offenses or criminal traffic offenses such as DUI (Driving Under the Influence), knowingly driving without a license and reckless driving are all criminal offenses; some being more severe than others. For example, vehicle manslaughter is, of course, very serious, as this involves someone being killed in an auto accident by another driver who may have been under the influence of alcohol, under the influence of drugs or driving recklessly.

For more information on Speaking To Police Without An Attorney, a free initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (305) 903-8892 today.

Call Now For A Free Case Evaluation
(305) 903-8892

Related Articles